Bloody Well Done!

The Red Cross Blood Drive at SPHS is Saving Lives

More stories from Jaimmie Sanchez

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bloody Well Done!

On November 16, 2017, in the Historic gym at San Pedro High School, the Red Cross program came to the school to facilitate the annual Blood Drive. The Blood Drive is a program from the Red Cross that allows students, who are 16 years and older, to donate their blood to people who need it. Mr. Green, a teacher at San Pedro High School,  hosts the blood drive at the school. He motivates students to donate their blood to help the sick people who need it.  Mr. Green doesn’t force students to donate blood, they have to make a choice to help people who are in need of blood. He believes that donating blood would make a huge difference in society because the students can save a person’s life with their blood.

More than 200 students participated in the blood drive. Students participate because they want to help people and, according to the students, they like the feeling that they are saving a person’s life just by donating a bit of blood.

Not all students who wanted to donate their blood could donate.  First students had to take a blood test to see whether or not their blood is healthy and safe. If the blood was good, then, they could donate. Once, the blood is taken out, it goes to the blood banks and once they’re in the blood banks, people who are in need of blood can get it.

This has been the fifth year that San Pedro High School has held the Blood Drive. The Red Cross offered the Blood Drive program to Mr. Green and he accepted. He is proud that the students are donating blood to help their fellow man. The Blood Drive program only runs twice a year, once during the Fall and again in Spring.  Pirates are saving people’s lives.