Random Searches Stir Up Mixed Feelings

Back to Article
Back to Article

Random Searches Stir Up Mixed Feelings

Joseph Plazola

School officials conduct individual searches when they suspect that a student or a small group of students possess evidence of a violation of the law or school rules.  Officials conduct random or blanket searches not because of individualized suspicion, but as a preventive measure. ”The random searches are done by the administration. They are done by the dean along with staff members who represent the principal,” says Mr. John Bobich, one of our deans.

Random searches make sure the school is safe, the school is mandated to do random searches every day to make sure there are no drugs or weapons on campus.  “It is very rare that we find anything,” continues Bobich.  The random searches take place in the hallway where no one can record or take pictures and post them on social media. The security guards search random lockers and random classrooms to make sure there are no weapons or drugs in the lockers and to make sure students aren’t holding anything they’re not supposed to.

When questioned about random searches, Bobich said, “Our goal is that San Pedro High School is free from weapons and drugs. He continued, “Data shows that we are among the safest schools in the area and LAUSD.”  When asked if the searches are necessary, Bobich claimed, ”Yes, since nearly every high school in the nation has issues of drugs and weapons.”

Most of the deans and staff members interviewed said they don’t enjoy random searches but find them very effective. They also shared some legal information: the deans or some of the staff members can search a student under reasonable suspicion if someone on staff or another student reports that a student is in possession of drugs, is high on drugs, or has a dangerous weapon. Only administrators and security staff members can search a student.

Upon asking students on how they feel about random searches and what their opinions are, most said they dislike random searches. “It’s a invasion of privacy,” said Gabriel Fergosa. “I feel like there’s another way to do this,” chimed in Gabriel’s friend Jose.  “They don’t have the right to search me,” wrongly claims another student who prefers to remain anonymous.  Teachers are all for the searches and feel they necessary, “Without a random search policy, there can be no targeted searches,” said Mr. Guldseth

In schools, random searches are meant to keep the school and all the students and faculty safe.  Data shows that it prevents more harm than it hurts a person’s right to privacy and we all want to be safe at school.

Joseph Plazola, Staff Writer

Joseph Plazola is a 17 year old student in 11th grade attending San Pedro high school his favorite subjects are English and math. His favorite color is...