Chips Ahoy!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chips Ahoy!

Christian Quintana

Selling chips on school campus has become more popular throughout the years and more people are selling chips every day. Although it’s against school policy, people look for ways to profit while still being in school. These illegal vendors sell products such as chips, drinks, or candy to grow their pockets. Some who sell chips remark that on good days they can make a decent profit just by selling a couple of bags.

“George” (an alias) who used to sells chips during school was asked about why he used to sell and why he stopped, and he said, “Selling chips is an easy way of making money everyday without leaving school campus, but I stopped because I got caught numerous times and if I sold again harsher consequences would occur and I did not want that to happen.”

The school does not like students selling any food to other students for many reasons. One such reason is it causes the school to lose money. Schools sell food to help finance resources the school desperately needs. Another reason is food safety. The school is liable for the safety of the their students and cannot guarantee that food items sold on the black market are safe and haven’t been tampered with or were made in a sanitary way. Finally, school don’t sell chips, soda, and other unhealthy snacks because of the obesity problem that is pervasive in our country.  Of course, students still want to consume those things, and where there’s a will there’s a way, but there are also consequences.