The Evolution of the Mobile Phone

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Evolution of the Mobile Phone

Jaimmie Sanchez, Staff Writer

Mobile phones are something pretty much everyone has these days, with them you can connect to WiFi, do video calls, play games and listen to your favorite songs, but it hasn’t always been like that. In the past, not everyone could afford to have one of these amazing pieces of technology. They were extremely expensive and were basically made for calls. In my opinion, Motorola and Apple came to the scenery to revolutionize our lives.  Have you ever thought of looking back at the evolution of smartphones? Going back to the very first commercial mobile phone in 1983 and comparing them to today’s phones? I must say, it’s pretty amusing. Let’s take a trip down memory lane, rewind your clocks and set yourself in 1983.

Motorola

The Motorola is the first ever mobile device that is ever created. Motorola was the first company to produce a handheld mobile phone. On April 3, 1973, Martin Cooper, a Motorola researcher and executive, made the first mobile telephone call from handheld subscriber equipment, placing a call to Dr. Joel S. Engel of Bell Labs, his rival.

Nokia 2146

It has a 9 number touch speed dialing for key numbers. It has fast access menu.
It has One-touch connection to One 2 One VoiceMail messages. It has automatic redial on busy. You can call divert to another number or to your VoiceMail. It has an international access key ‘+’. Keyguard to prevent accidental dialing. Last and cumulative call duration report

Nokia 3210

The Nokia 3210 is a GSM cellular phone, announced by Nokia on March 18, 1999. With 160 million units sold, the 3210 is one of the most popular and successful phones in history, and is well-known as many people’s first ever mobile phone.

Nokia 6210

The Nokia 6210 is a mobile phone made by Nokia. It has been available since 2000. In addition to calling and SMS messaging, the phone has many other features, such as an alarm clock, a HSCSD modem, a web client, 3 games, a calculator, a ‘to-do’ list application, a calendar, infra-red connectivity, a voice recorder and a stopwatch. In keeping with Nokia’s practice of selling phones that the user can customize the physical appearance of, the 6210 is minimally customizable. The plastic detail below the keypad, which Nokia called the ‘Personal Badge’ is removable. For a time, Nokia would send replacements, screen-printed with text of the customer’s choosing. These were free for a promotional period.

Ericsson TT39

The Ericsson T39 was a GSM mobile phone released by Ericsson Mobile Communications in 2001, it was the follow-up to the T28 and T29. The prototype, which was unveiled in 2000, was the second phone with built-in Bluetooth, while the first was Ericsson R520M.

Samsung E250

The Samsung SGH-E250 mobile was introduced in 2006 as an entry level version of the Samsung D900 (The ULTRA edition 12.9) mobile. The E250 has very similar features to the D900, but the screen resolution is roughly half of that of the D900 and the camera is only 0.3MP compared to the D900’s 3MP camera.

Apple IPhone

The iPhone is the first smartphone model designed and marketed by Apple Inc. It is the first generation of iPhone that was announced on January 9, 2007 after years of rumors and speculation.

Blackberry curve 8900

A sleek twist on a classic style. You can keep your finger on the pulse of what’s important to you with the BlackBerry Curve 8900 smartphone. The striking 480 x 360-pixel screen offers up crisp on-the-go video, images, text, maps and more. With a refined design, the BlackBerry Curve 8900 smartphone is an easy-to-use device that delivers expanded functionality and reliable results

Samsung Galaxy S2

The Samsung Galaxy S II uses Android 2.3 Gingerbread, the world’s fastest-growing mobile operating system. The next generation smartphone includes access to Samsung’s four content and entertainment hubs, seamlessly integrated to provide instant access to music, games, e-reading and social networking services

Samsung Galaxy S4

Capture every moment with slow motion video recording – no video editing tools necessary. Slow down or speed up all the action using the Galaxy S4 slow motion and fast motion camera modes. Simply choose your mode, select your speed and start recording. View all your content on a stunning Super AMOLED display that’s powered by a robust processor – all in a light smartphone.

Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The code-named is Togari and is marketed as “the world’s slimmest Full HD smartphone”. It is the first phone that allows users to take notes or draw on with a regular pen or pencil. Like the Sony Xperia Z and Z1, the phone is dust protected, low pressure water jet protected, and waterproof, allowing immersion under 1.5 metre of water for up to 30 minutes, as well as shatterproof and scratch-resistant,making it the world’s thinnest IP certified smartphone.