No Ordinary Flu Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

No Ordinary Flu Season

Christian Quintana, Staff Writer

Every year the flu season affects people from all over the world making parents miss work and kids not attend school which can impact the school districts,  and the students ability to learn. This year a flu virus known as H3N2 has caused major problems for children as it can be deadly and has killed around thirty seven children and nearly twelve thousand people hospitalized with  numbers expecting to increase.

Schools in at least eleven states have been closed as they are aware of the harm it can cause to students and their health. Many epidemiologists are concerned over this particular disease such as state epidemiologist Dr. Gil Chavez who claims, “Its appears to be one of the worst seasons we’ve had in the last ten years.” This virus is different compared to other flu viruses within the past couple of years because this year’s flu season hit almost all states at the same time and continued to increase nationally for three consecutive weeks while regular flu seasons commonly appear in different parts of the country at different times.

The flu is thought to have grown drastically in January since kids have returned to school from the holidays which can spread the virus to more kids on campus and can cause students to take the virus home where they can potentially infect their family. If you or anyone you know feel sick and have symptoms such as a sore throat,exhaustion, or body aches, you just might have the flu. Be sure to check with your doctor and take the day off to prevent the spread of this terrible virus.