Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead

More stories from Alyson Watson

Wonder-ful
December 7, 2017

San Pedro High School is moving full steam ahead with it’s new S.T.E.A.M. Magnet.  The San Pedro High School’s Science Technology Engineering, Arts, and Math Magnet is, according to the STEAM Magnet Coordinator Judy Arteaga, “…not a separate subject or a set time in the schedule where students play with pre-packaged materials available. It is the integration of science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics through a brand new curriculum or built into a current curriculum design. It allows students to apply STEAM principles to create innovative and practical solutions to real world problems.”

The Steam Magnet is a proud member of the LAUSD Local District South. It offers 20 advanced placement courses, including 3 language courses. It also offers participation in all the sports available at San Pedro High School. Currently, all STEAM classes are offered at the Flagship Campus, which means students in the magnet do not need to take buses from the Flagship to the Olguin campus, unless they are participating in sports offered on the other campus.

The STEAM Staff is a group of high qualifying individuals, all working on the same path to teach Project Based Learning, which is a teaching method in which students gain knowledge and skills by working for an extended period of time to investigate and respond to an authentic, engaging and complex question, problem, or challenge. Including, Science teacher Giovanni Arteaga, English teacher Noel Baker, Math teacher Steven Stout, and History teacher Stephen Tedesco.

“Using a design thinking philosophy, students are free to explore, tinker and create. STEAM camps have engendered an atmosphere where “out of the box” thinkers are celebrated for their innovative ideas,” says Steam Math teacher, Steven Stout. The Steam magnet continues to focus on student learning goals, including standards-based content and skills such as critical thinking/problem solving, communication, collaboration, and self-management.   Steam Pirates will be leading us full steam ahead into the future.