Terrible Start to 2018

Goodbye old and worn 2017, hello to fresh 2018

Isaac Gutierrez, Staff Writer

“New Year, New me”,  or in this case, “New Year, New America” is a common statement for the beginning of a new year, leaving behind conflicts from the past and starting anew. 2017 was an eventful year, many good things happened as well as many bad incidents in which America as a whole is ashamed and saddened by. As the clock was ticking down to midnight, everyone was hoping for a good start to 2018, but seeing how much has happened in only the first month of the year, it’s looking to be 2017 all over again.  

In early January, Logan Paul and his companions went to Mt. Fuji in Japan to visit the Aokigahara Forest dubbed The Suicide Forest due to it being a suicide hotspot. Logan was recording his new video which was about suicide prevention. While roaming around, they come across a hanging body. He continues to record and post it on Youtube. He receives major controversy, with the video gaining more than 6 million views in less than a day. After that day, he posted a video in which he spoke with a suicide survivor and states that he will donate 1 million dollars to various suicide prevention organizations.

In the beginning of December of 2017, there was a Thomas Fire which occurred in the Santa Barbara/Ventura county in California. According to fire.ca.gov, the fire began at 6:38 PM. It burned a total of 281,000 acres and 1,063 structures from December of 2017 and into the second week of January, finally being contained on the 12th of January. The Thomas Fire was the biggest recorded fire in California history, toppling the previous Cedar Fire, which burned 273,000 acres and nearly 3,000 structures back in October of 2013.

Towards the end of the first month of 2018, there have been two shootings. On the 24th, someone had opened fire inside of Marshall County High School in Kentucky which left 2 dead and 18 injured. The shooter is an unidentified 15 year-old male. The most recent shooting happened on the 29th at a car wash in Pennsylvania, leaving four dead, all in their 20’s, at approximately 3 A.M. Of the four dead, one of them was the suspected gunman, identified as Timothy Smith.